Job #771739 - Review of applications begins 5/2/22. Salary commensurate with experience.
The individual selected for this position will teach undergraduate general-education science courses in the Center for Integrative Studies for General Science and serve as Undergraduate Academic Advisor to undergraduate majors in the Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences. The College of Natural Science seeks candidates whose teaching and mentoring has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education.
As an Instructor in the Center for Integrative Studies for General Science, this individual will:
- Typically teach two sections of integrative science courses (e.g., History of Life; Natural Hazards and the Environment; Global Change) per semester
- Participate in CISGS faculty meetings.
- Engage in and support curricular reform and assessment initiatives to foster scientific literacy for undergraduates at MSU
As an Academic Advisor in the Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences, this individual will:
- Assist in students’ course selection, maintain and monitor student progress towards degree completion
- Support students by providing academic success strategies, creating connections with campus resources, research, and internship opportunities; encourage growth in career development, including preparation for graduate and professional school
Collaborate with advising and faculty colleagues to promote professional growth and to support the students’ academic success
Successful applicant must have:
- Experience in teaching undergraduate science courses
- Experience mentoring students from broadly diverse demographic and social backgrounds
- Facility with using active-learning and inquiry-based modes of instruction.
- Facility with the use of instructional technology, including remote learning.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other Faculty and Academic Advisors and a diverse student population.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively.